Lab Assistant - Referrals Dept.
POSITION SUMMARY: You are responsible for the receiving and processing laboratory specimens and requisitions. You will enter requisitions data into the database, label, centrifuge, and aliquot all specimens. You will assist in training processing staff.
In particular, a reference lab assistant is responsible for ensuring that all samples be sent out for testing in a timely and accurate manner. The job requires accuracy, attention to detail, and typing skills. The job also uses knowledge of Antrim and LCLS systems, logging in testing, labeling, packaging and shipping samples.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES:
- Receive clinical specimens from clients.
- Prioritize orders as needed.
- Determine that appropriate orders and samples are present.
- Accession specimens into computerized database.
- Label, process and route specimens to testing departments or storage.
- Assist with inventory and ordering. Receives supplies, unpacks, labels, stores in proper place.
- Assist in training of staff.
- Answer telephones in a pleasant, courteous, and professional manner, and effectively relay messages to appropriate personnel.
- Maintain a safe and clean work environment at all times. Attends all safety training classes and conforms to company safety guidelines and requirements.
- Conform to established and new procedures and policies instituted by the company.
- High school diploma or equivalent required, some college science helpful.
- Typing at least 40 words per minute and 10 key by touch.