Clinical Laboratory Supervisor - Molecular Genetics
The Integrated Genetics Division of LabCorp is seeking a Clinical Laboratory Supervisor for the Molecular Genetics department at the Center for Molecular Biology and Pathology (CMBP).
This department performs a wide array of testing for heritable disorders, including tests for cystic fibrosis, Tay-Sachs disease, Gaucher disease, fragile X syndrome, thalassemia, thrombophilia, and many more. This testing is performed using a wide variety of scientific techniques, including PCR, fragment analysis, and gel electrophoresis.
The individual in the supervisor role must be dynamic, possessing strong leadership and effective communication skills. The person in this position should be able to develop and motivate staff.
Key responsibilities of the Laboratory Supervisor position include the following:
- Supervising the lab operations of the Molecular Genetics Department, including accurate delivery of patient results, competency assessments, continuing education, and positive morale of laboratory staff. Will attend staff and management meetings and oversee daily lab operations.
- Taking responsibility for laboratory performance criteria including:
- Deliver patient laboratory results within specified TAT.
- Monitor and ensure acceptable repeat and failure rates.
- Achieve pre-determined assay reagent and supply costs and maintain updated costs.
- Assure productivity levels in the labs are achieved and maintained.
- Monitoring daily workflow in the lab, planning / scheduling for adequate assay coverage, and troubleshooting / escalating problems, as necessary.
- Directly supervising, training, and mentoring laboratory testing staff. This includes clearly communicating expectations to staff and evaluating individual employee performance.
- Assisting with the hiring of qualified, enthusiastic employees.
- Working closely and cooperatively with the Lab Manager and other department supervisor(s), as well as Clinical Trials, R&D, and supervisors / staff in support departments.
- Overseeing clinical trials performed in the department, including direct overview of training and testing protocols for clinical trials.
- Monitoring time tracking system for employees and ensuring attendance expectations are being met.
- Other responsibilities as assigned by Lab Manager.
The 7,000-acre Research Triangle Park is the largest research park in the United States, and is home to over 140 organizations (Biotechnology, Pharmaceuticals, Healthcare, and Information Technology /Telecommunications) and has around 45,000 full time employees entering the Park each day. The Research Triangle itself is named for the Triangle formed by the three universities: Duke University at Durham, the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, and North Carolina State University in Raleigh.
- B.A./B.S. in Biology or related life science.
- Must have at least 7 years of experience in a Clinical Diagnostic Lab setting, including at least 2 years in a leadership role.
- Previous experience with performing PCR-based genetic testing strongly preferred, but not required
- Exceptional communication (verbal and written) and interpersonal skills
- Strong computer skills and working knowledge of programs such as Microsoft Word, Outlook, and Excel.