Location Ft. Washington, Maryland Job ID 19-77632
- Performs grossing following established procedures.
- Performs tissue embedding following established procedures.
- Performs routine cutting of paraffin blocks on a rotary microtome.
- Prepares reagents following established procedures.
- Receives specimens, maintains documentation of workload volume, quality control data and all appropriate records as required by the department, company and various regulatory agencies.
- Maintains block files. Store specimens for future retrieval if necessary.
- Matches slides and reports to ensure correct information is reported.
- Stains, coverslips and labels slides (automated and manual). Performs special staining procedures offered in the histology laboratory (automated and manual).
- Researches, troubleshoots and resolves inquiries or problems within the laboratory and with LabCorp clients. Assists less experienced employees in researching, resolving and documenting problems.
- Performs reagent QC on routinely used reagents. Runs parallel checks on reagents used on instruments for routine lab work. Troubleshoots reagent failures.
- Performs specimen QC to ensure specimen is appropriate and properly identified for each bench. Note and resolve all specimens not in compliance.
- Develops stain troubleshooting skills and develops assay trouble shooting skills. Records and determine causes for assay failure. Develops plans with the supervisor/manager to rectify problems.
- Assists with other non-technical duties within the laboratory as requested by the supervisor/manager to meet immediate needs of laboratory.
- Performs routine maintenance on laboratory equipment in designated area. This includes cleaning equipment, minor troubleshooting and reporting any irregularities in operation to supervisor/manager.
- Maintains appropriate records as required by laboratory, company and various regulatory agencies.
- Adheres to the laboratory's safety policies.
- Maintains adequate stock of working supplies, notifies team leader or supervisor of shortage. Helps with inventory procedures.
- Participates in required continued education activities.
- Additional duties as assigned.
- Experience working in Histology.
- Microtomy experience required.
- Must be CLIA '88 gross eligible
- Experience in a histology lab setting.
- Administrative experience: filing experience, maintain logs/records, use of computerized databases, verbal and written communications.