Technical Director - Clinical Chemistry
Join LabCorp Diagnostics and you'll be a part of an innovative life sciences company that is deeply integrated in guiding patient care and providing comprehensive clinical laboratory services. With a mission to improve health and improve lives, LabCorp delivers world-class diagnostic solutions and pioneers new diagnostic technologies to improve the delivery of care. As a member of the LabCorp team, you will support a dedicated staff in resulting over 500,000 clinical samples a day, a volume that demands the most accurate and precise analysis possible. You'll join a collegial scientific staff who appreciates that on the other side of every sample, is a person who depends on us! LabCorp is a leader in laboratory medicine and we strive to meet the rapidly evolving healthcare needs.
Do work that matters. Join LabCorp and be a part of our team bringing laboratory diagnostics to a new level.
LabCorp is seeking a Technical Director, located in Burlington, NC. This is the largest testing facility within the company's system. It is also home to LabCorp's Center for Esoteric Testing (CET). The CET provides esoteric testing support for all LabCorp divisions, employing more than 650 people focused on enhancing the patient and custom experience with LabCorp. The combined operation offers a very broad testing menu at one location, including: Diagnostic Immunology, Esoteric Immunoassay, Allergy, Hemostasis and Thrombosis, the Kidney Stone Management Program, Special Chemistry, Microbiology, and Clinical Toxicology. Its close proximity to LabCorp's corporate headquarters allows the CET to tap into additional company resources to help consistently develop new tests, workflow improvements, and enhancements to the supply chain.
- Oversees the technical component of the laboratory to ensure that patient results are reported reliably
- Reviews and reports patient results as needed, accurately, and with integrity
- Ensures accuracy for all testing in the lab, including instrument performance and addressing root causes when issues arise
- Accurately responds to client inquires that are technical in nature
- Effectively communicates with clients, physicians, nurses, pathologists and LabCorp staff, including Science Technology and Laboratory teams
- Guides implementation of new assays and instrumentation in lab
- Serves as last-stop to solve clients' technical problems (i.e., test rejection)
- Assists the Quality department to ensure all required regulations are followed
- Participates in, reviews and approves validation plans and studies, ensuring accurate and timely data is provided
- Attends client meetings, to support business development or address customers' concerns
- Projects credibility and builds rapport with medical doctors/LabCorp clients, providing quick/accurate responses to inquires
- Keeps up with scientific advances and other literature, offering perspectives about improvements, such as how a report reads
- An interest in providing staff educational seminars, participation in national technical societies and publishing peer-reviewed manuscripts is encouraged
- Occasionally performs bench work in unique testing situations
- Sets the tone in the lab for performance and quality, ensuring techs perform duties correctly (i.e., handling specimens, pipetting)
- Shares experiences and ideas with discipline directors, such as improvements to SOPs, reports, interfaces
- Influences and leads the lab staff, developing their capabilities and enrolling them in problem-solving and urgent matters.
- PhD in a Life Science discipline
- Board Certification from the American Board of Clinical Chemistry or equivalent clinical board program.
- 3-7 years of post-graduate experience
- Deductive reasoning/analytical skills to reach resolution to customer inquiries or lab opportunities/issues
- Depth and breadth of experience within a clinical lab, understanding validation, quality control, proficiency testing, regulatory requirements
- Influence/leadership skills to work with lab staff, developing their capabilities and enrolling them in problem-solving/urgent matters
- Knowledge of quality standards and accountable for providing accurate results
- Ability to respond to stressful and urgent situations